Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Mexican Wedding Cookies...
...should really be called Mexican EVERYDAY cookies because that's how easy they are to make! You don't need any eggs (which means you can eat all the cookie dough you want without worrying about salmonella, yay!) Besides chopping the pecans, prep time is only 5-10 minutes. My mom always made these for my dad when he went on camping trips with his brothers because they're super-transportable. Some advice: make sure you make PLENTY of these (I usually make a double batch). One time one of my roommates was out of town when I made these and we only left her one and she was infuriated for days, no joke.
1 c. butter (use salted!)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 - 1 c. chopped pecans
1. Mix the butter and powdered sugar in an electric mixer.
2. Add the vanilla.
3. Sift the flour and salt together, then add to the mixer.
4. Add the chopped pecans.
5. Mix together just until the dough forms (you don't want the dough to get too tough from over-mixing!)
6. Roll 1" balls out of the dough using your palms.
7. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet @ 325° F for 18-20 minutes (don't over-bake them).
8. After they have cooled completely, put them in a ziploc bag with 1 c. of powdered sugar until they're completely covered. Makes ~40 cookies.