Monday, August 17, 2009
Meat and Potatoes Monday
Hello all! Sorry that summer school finals stole me away from the kitchen and here, but I'm back now! In honor of this week-long hiatus between summer school and Fall semester I am going to try to make and post something new each day! Today is a double-header with Grandma's Meatloaf and Red Potatoes with Dill.
Poor meatloaf has a reputation as a flavorless blob, but I think this recipe could change things up. It's like a giant delicious meatball with ketchup on top! It's also super easy to make and is even yummier the next day. What could be better?
2 1/2 lb. ground sirloin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. ketchup
1 1/2 c. cracker crumbs (I like to crush saltines for this)
1. Mix ingredients together in a bowl with your hands.
2. Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place in a glass baking dish or casserole.
3. Pour 1/2 c. of water into the dish.
4. Spread 1/3 c. of ketchup on top of loaf.
5. Bake at 350° F for 1 hour.
Baby Red Potatoes with Dill
20 small red potatoes, washed and cut in half
3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. dill (fresh or dried)
salt and pepper
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Melt butter in microwave and spread on baking sheet.
3. Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle dill on baking sheet.
4. Place potatoes (cut side down) on baking sheet.
5. Salt and pepper backsides of potatoes.
6. Bake at 350° F for ~30 minutes.